View Single Post
Old 06.29.2013, 02:21 PM   #3134
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Dude, of course there's a new Neil Gaiman. It is, disappointingly, only 193 pages or something... It's also completely separate from American Gods as far as I can tell, and though it feels almost like a more stylized, clever take on a children's book, it's one of the scariest things he's ever written. I'm taking it very slow, especially because it's so short, so I may be off in the long run, but despite its nostalgic childhood narrative, it has malevolent overtone that makes it a very tense and anxious read. My god, what that man can do with words.

Anyway, of course it's got a mythological foundation (I think) but this time it seems closer to Pagan faerie than to any of the more obvious cultural myths and archetypes seen in American Gods and Anansi Boys. Like a cautionary tale a Pagan mother might tell her children to horrify them out of doing something naughty.

Books written for teenagers are often authors' best works. I think Clive Barkers works for children and teenagers are BETTER than his adult novels. I like that they are more concise, and yet also less graphic. They let your imagination do the heavy lifting, more insinuation and hinting than revealing the horror. Imajica is epic, but I really have enjoyed these Abarat books. While I didn't like Anasi Boys better than American Gods, I didn't think it was particularly better written, so I expect that kind of style in this one. 200 pages are better for me. I have a short attention span for novels, there are a dozen I have put down at the half way point because after two or three days I lose interest.

When I realized that American Gods was really just a grief story, it all clicked. He was just holding on too long, the way MOST of us make our lives tragic by holding on to a dream, a fear, or a love longer than its worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I loved Name of the Rose but got about 3/4 of the way into Foucault's Pendulum before realising I didn't have the foggiest idea what was going on. I'll give Baudolini a go though.

Baudolino is a bit lengthy, but its actually fucking hilarious! Name of the Rose was more spooky, a great thriller.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|