View Single Post
Old 03.14.2019, 06:43 PM   #2552
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Must spread some rep before giving it to demonrail666 again.

Also I feel like Twin Peaks is being unfairly reduced to just the dream-logic aspect of it. It is of course an intricate part of the series and adds a lot to its charm, but I don't think that's all there's to it. There were several things at play that made it as beloved as it is. Beneath the odd interactions and the heightened dramatism in the execution there lie real fears, real emotional phenomena that are being explored in the show. Granted, in a very grandiose and dramatic way, but they are there. There's grief being displayed in many different ways, kindness and genuine care, emotional suppression, acting tough despite intense psychological distress, jealousy, feelings of guilt and helplessness etc.

The great atmosphere and the dream-like weirdness for lack of a better term are what initially drew me in and made me appreciate the show way back. Now on my rewatch however, I started to appreciate the deeply-rooted emotional core of the show as well. I don't think the show was only successful because of its surreal atmosphere and its quirkiness. I'd like to think that people could relate to certain aspects the show touched on. Hell, I watched videos about people reacting to certain things happening in the third season and explaining the emotional impact it had on them and how they felt for the characters depicted in these particular scenes.

And that's down to the writing and the performances. I think they deserve a mention. Sometimes the dialogue is laying it on pretty thick, I have to admit, but even that is at least in part intentional as it sought to parody popular soap operas of its time. And yet, I can't help but be really immersed in the turmoil of these colorful characters. No easy feat.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|