View Single Post
Old 05.22.2006, 10:24 PM   #52
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall91
thank you for naming some black female musical recording artists. as to how many of them could be listed as "the most important females in rock history," i will give you tina turner. however, anyone's accidental omission of tina from this thread is more of a reflection of her "importance" to them than a symbol of their overt racism. that is more my point than on philosophizing about who is and is not rock.

but since you started it, here are some of my theories.

i did not know poly styrene was black. I apologize for my lack of punk knowledge on this matter.

sheila e can bang some drums but i doubt you're going to see her booked at
any rock club at any time in the future or past.

and tracey chapman is straight-up folk (though very good folk.)

cindy blackmon (from lenny kravitz band)? did you have to google that or is she really of high musical importance to you? that's like picking a backup singer to any solo act. sorry, but if she was that musically important, she'd be in a "band." it's not "lenny kravitz and his awesome band," it's lenny kravitz, who i'm sure has a rotating roster of musicians that play with him when he feels like it.

the song "black cat" by janet jackson, although it has a high suck factor, is heavily guitar-based and is a very rock dance song. i would still never call janet jackson a rock act; i would call her a dance act. genres exist for a reason. some artists can cross genres, but most artists still belong to one primary genre. call me a genrist, but not a racist.

i never said that these women were the "most important in rock music". you asked for someone to name you some and i did. we're not talking validity or subgenres or any of that shit, i just named some names. sheila e and that gal from lenny kravitz's band may not be your particular brand of rock (they're not mine either), but they still play rock music.

i never called you a racist. that was monsieur assblaster.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|