View Single Post
Old 01.04.2015, 05:01 PM   #14
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
My half-a-cent:

I was once in a lucky audience of 15 to watch Hitchcock play a radio show. He was a delight. Fun songs, witty banter. As acoustic shows go, it was one of the better ones I've seen.

(Later, I went into the bathroom and there he was standing at the urinal. I said thanks for playing, and then there was this weird moment when he started to extend his hand to shake mine, but then thought better of it.)

That is quite possibly the best “How I met a Musician” story anyone has ever told. That's the kind of shit you can't make up. Seriously- I laughed out loud.

Did he at least respond to you?

I have personal requirements for claiming to have “met” musicians or other celebs/public figures because I have spoken to or seen so many musicians just by attending small shows and festivals, but I can't claim to have met everyone who's ever signed some merch for me, or nodded in response to some conpliment I toss out as they walk by (“Hey Buzz- you guys killed it!”) Makes me feel like a fraud.

So for me to feel that I've actually met someone, I need to do the following:
1) Introduce myself. There's nothing's special about saying, “you're Thurston Moore! You got me through high school!” It's embarrassing and spazzy. To me, meeting someone I admire in the same way that I meet any other new person, and having them address me by name in return (“It's nice to meet you, Severian”) is worth so much more than yelling something obnoxious and getting a perfunctory wave or "Hi" in return.

2.) Shake their hand. This one isn't absolutely necessary, but when I can successfully imprint my name in their memory, a hand shake seals the deal nicely.

I say it's not absolutely necessary because I'm thinking about meeting someone at a urinal. I wouldn't want to shake their hand in that situation, and would hope that they wouldn't shake mine.

But I hope you and Robyn actually exchanged words and had something approaching a personal experience, even if it was awkward, and both of your dicks were hanging out. I'll bet he remembers this incident too... That's something you can brag about.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|