View Single Post
Old 09.15.2014, 06:42 PM   #1127
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

Snoop's tenth proper studio album is an interesting one. It feels like he was really trying to make a comeback in the sense that he wanted to be respected (and perhaps get airplay) on the same level of aging rappers like Jay-Z. And as such, this album is actually really straight forward, with virtually none of the weird experiments that Snoop had dabbled with on many of his previous albums. It's also relatively short - which is a good thing when it comes to Snoop, as he's so often prone to filling up as much of an 80 minute disc has he can regardless of song quality. Here we've got just 11 songs. The record opens with "I Wanna Rock," a track that samples Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock's classic "It Takes Two." "I Wanna Rock" got Snoop a ton of radio time, and rightly so as it's a damn fine song. Much of the rest of the album is a lot more average though. There is certainly a consistency to the style of the tracks, which is always nice to hear focus on a Snoop album. But at the same time the Dogg really seemed to be rapping his ass off throughout most of the album, and unfortunately a lot of the beats just don't really come off as anything too standout. Although I've got to admit that the Romantics interpolation on "Secrets" is an odd and interesting choice of samples by producer Battlecat. That urge to prove himself relevant seems to show with some of the guests brought in here. The Lil Jon track is better than you'd guess, but also sounds pretty subdued by the Crunk Rocker's standards. Strangely that was maybe a missed opportunity. Similarly the Soulja Boy duet fares better than expected, but it's hard to really say that their voices mesh well together. Ultimately there's not a track here that I'd really call bad though. Which is of course a complement. There's just not enough here that I'd consider great to really be excited about. It's a good album, but one that I'd suggest only after you've digested enough of the better Snoop albums and start fiending for some fresh tracks.