View Single Post
Old 12.22.2015, 12:00 AM   #1781
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Well louder, I'm sorry man, but Pusha T has pulled a D'Angelo and dropped a fucking bomb on 2015. It's funny, because I usually can't bring myself to let week old albums win out over records that have had 6-12 months to prove their awesomeness and staying power (except for last year when I made "Only One" my song of the year about three hours before the ball dropped. Ha!), which is why Black Messiah initially was #9 for me instead of #3, which is what it would probably be if I retakes 2014 now... right behind Ben Frost and Aphex Twin.

But I just can't ignore it. Darkest Before Dawn is my goddamn favorite hip-hop album of 2014.

So, it looks like my 2015 hip-hop list is going to look something like this:

1. Pusha T - King Push - Darkest Before Dawn: The Prequel
2. Vince Staples - Summertime '06
3. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
4. Drake - If You're Reading This it's Too Late
5. Joey Bada$$ - B4.DA.$$
6. Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth
7. Kool Keith & L'Orange - Time? Astonishing!
8. Ghostface Killah & Adrian Younge - Twelve Reasons to Die II
9. A$AP Rocky - At.Long.Last.A$AP
10. Dr. Dre - Compton

I'd love to include Cities Aviv - Your Discretion is Trust, but if that's "hip hop" then so is Young Fathers, and if Young Fathers goes on this list, it's going to dominate. Both artists released albums that were way too non-hip hop to be called hip hop. The label is inadequate.

Anyway, sorry Mr. Wonderful, but I never returned to you after the first couple of weeks. Sorry Raekwon but... well, you're not trying very hard. Sorry Big Sean but you're not there yet. Sorry Earl, but you bother me. Sorry Tyler, but you really bother me. Sorry Underachievers, but you need to get your heads out of your asses and stop preaching mystical bullshit. Sorry Kid Cudi, but your album was just really really really really bad!

*sigh*

When's Ye coming home?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|