Thread: Swans
View Single Post
Old 07.29.2008, 08:40 AM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i love love love filth. i love love love cop. i love love love the young god ep.

early swans was the best. crushingly loud and abrasive post punk post industrial noise minimal hypnotic and did i mention loud? i really like the comparison jonathon kane drew between howlin wolf and early swans. how both have music based around a single simple riff, and then played repatedly to create a hypnotic, and in the swans case, crushing, effect. subsequently gira is a big wolf fan.

the so called pigfucker bands in the 80s is very interesting to me. i mean, the american underground at that time was mainly composed of more pop oriented college rock bands, and then the hardcore bands who just crankd up the punk format to 1000. but the early 80s american noise rock bands came out of no where. technically they were post punk bands, because thay would not have existed had punk not already happened. in sound thet were more related to no wave, in that they had higher artistic aspirations as well as operated in atonality, noise, and dissonance. but at the same time, they worked as punk bnds, networking, touring the country in vans, and totally lived the diy aesthetic. and because of this, they were punk bands, and co existed with hardcore, even sharing labels and stages with the hardcore bands. of course the bands im talking about are sonic youth, swans, scratch acid, big black, the buttholes, and pussy galore. these bands in retrospect probably proved to be the most influential.

jesus, im rambling. sorry folks. ive been popping percs like juju beans since i got out of the hospital on saturday, im a mess. swans rule.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|