View Single Post
Old 12.28.2016, 08:20 PM   #49386
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
reading that is soul-crushing.

I've read it or something like it many times before. Not sure where louder's quote came from, but there are passages that touch on the same things in Heavier Than Heaven, and the issue has been heavily talked about by internet Nirvana fan groups for decades now.

Yes, it's sad as all hell. But as a kid from the Pacific Northwest who was raised on Nirvana and Mudhoney and the like, I spent tons of time wishing I could change things, wishing Nirvana had lasted. But honestly, at this point, between the studio albums, the non-studio albums (Unplugged, Incesticide, Wishkah) the box sets and reissues and the live albums, I feel like we have a great story of a band going from ambitious punks to ... whatever the fuck you'd call the absolute noise pop perfection of In Utero (a NUMBER 1, 7x PLATINUM noise pop record!!!) with the rest acting as handy little epilogues and footnotes, hinting at what could have been without even running the risk of actually BEING what could have been and not being that great. Which would have sucked.

Y'know?

Cobain's death will always sadden me, and will always be a totally fucked up, cult avoidable tragedy, but Nirvana's legacy is pretty much untarnished. Had they followed the pattern of most of their peers they would have released good albums until around '95 — '97 at the latest — and then faded into nothingness like a really pungent fart. They may have burned out, but they burned like the goddamn sun.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|