View Single Post
Old 10.10.2008, 04:07 PM   #58
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I dnt think Andrew WK's party shiz is a "joke" as much as it's just a sort of self-indulgent salute to like KISS and stuff like that. It's like frat rock, made by an art dude, who openly admits it's just frat rock.

I actually think Andrew WK has a pretty interesting discography.

hes a surprisingly thoughtful and creativer person as well. he always seems amazingly soft spoken yet full of wisdom in his interviews. it pisses me off when people always write him off as just a "joke musician" or whatever, or that just because he's on mtv he can't make noise. fuck that. the fact that he records with tom smith and to live and shave in la is testament to the fact that he's the real deal.

and why all the hate for wolf eyes? they're a great band. yes, they put some medicore stuff out there, but that's because that's the kind of band they are. olson is the type of musician who needs to be recording and touring and creating all the time. i mean, he's constantly recording with wolf eyes, graveyards, and dead machines or as spykes. and if not recording, touring. and shit, wolf eyes is AMAZING live, pretty much always mindblowing. and their music is way more dynamic and interesting than a lot of noise bands these days. in fact, sometimes i wouldn't even consider them straight noise. their songs at thier core are super hypnotic dub tracks, but then they build on top of that with hardcore intensity and vocals, industrial electronics, free dynamics, and layers upon layers of ear screeching feedback and noise. i love a lot of thier records; s/t, dread, dead hills, strangled in filth, stranulation tank, the beast (w/ smegma, id actually say that if thier was any band wolf eyes was carrying the torche for, itd be smegma, in that thier sound is actually a combination of many styles, but still fits into this harsh noise landscape), black vomit w/anthony braxton (i find it amazing how well braxton fits into the sound on this recording, he seriously sounds like a member of the band, just a significantly more talented member, and of course the part where young is like, "hey anthony man, what do you wanna hear?" and braxton says casually, "black vomit", epic), burned mind, stabbed in the face, lung malfunction, the warriors, and human animal. that's a lot of good stuff. but yes, like i said, they have some pointless recordings. but with a band like wolf eyes, you must accept the bad to find the amazing.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|