View Single Post
Old 08.10.2007, 05:42 AM   #101
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i know i'll be rocking the boat with this comment but paganini is fucking awesome. yes, his capricci are shred wankery boredom but his concertos? absolutely amazing, in fact, i'm going to dig my tape with his concertos.

other than him, i haven't really gotten so into classical, i'm actually going backwards from branca, rhys chatham (genius, genius composer), lamonte, tony conrad, charlemagne palestine, cage, stockhausen, terry riley... don't know if all of them count; actually, i don't care, i like their music.

The minimalists and the avant-garde (Cage/ Stockhausen) aren't given much time by the classical 'establishment' but that's no reason to say they're not good. Check out die Valkyre by Wagner if you're into Branca - you might notice that a lot of his ideas are developed out of Wagner's (not to say he stole them, per se). There's plenty of oomph in plenty of more 'acceptable' classical stuff - Karajan's treatment of Beethoven's 5th is brilliantly heavy, I reckon someone like Mahler or Stravinsky should appeal to your taste. I doubt you'd quite go for Elgar or Vivaldi, but Paganini might lead to Rimsky-Korsakov or Szymanowski. I'd even go so far as to recommend fishing out a punchy version of Ravel's Bolero.

Over everything I'd probably recommend Schnittke, he's ridiculously brilliant from about the early 70s to the mid-to-late 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|