View Single Post
Old 01.11.2017, 11:33 AM   #41
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
^^ THAT SAID... There's nothing on A Seat at the Table that comes close to the perfection of "All Night," which is without question Lemonade's highlight (as I've been saying since the album came out.) "All Night" is a tremendous, powerful, soulful pop song with a timeless quality to it that transcends trends and topical references. It's almost like a "Let it Be," or a "You Can't Always Get What You Want" in that sense.

It's classy, it's happy, it's sad, there's a universality to it that isn't present on most of Lemonade's songs. It throws back to Motwown, to Phil Spectre, to Tina Turner, to fucking Outkast for christ's sake! It's the most perfect pop song of 2016. Funny (and infuriating) that out of all the tracks on the album, it has probably received the least attention.

I don't think I've read any reviews of Lemonade that even mention "All Night" specifically, except to note how the album ends on a reconciliatory note. Meanwhile, "Hold Up" and "Formation" and "Freedom" are fucking everywhere. That's sad, and it kinda posses me off. I feel like you'd be an idiot not to think "All Night" was the high point of Lemonade, and yet the rest of the world barely seems to have noticed the song even exists.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|