View Single Post
Old 12.24.2006, 01:33 PM   #30
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
okaye, i can agree with ya there. the riot girl movement was most def. more so similiar in sound to hardcore (with a slightly more sludgey value at times) than earlier waves of punk rock.

i guess my point is that either way, it wasnt BY ANY MEANS, anything "new". fuck man, even you said it was about females using their bodies any way they choose(something that i feels only part of the whole story)...didnt madonna say (YEARS EARLIER) that "when a man screws around alot hes praised, but when a female does the same shes called a whore"? yes, she did.

was she a riot girl, no! corporate trash...yeah at times. but still no matter what shes ten times more powerful, and vital, than kathleen hannah.

and yes, SY did take them under their wing a bit. however, doesnt suprise me that they dont seem to have too much to say about kathleen these days.

I think Kathleen is still very much friends with SY. She's one of the people included in the interviews in Corporate Ghost. I think Le Tigre has played on some of the same bills with them as well. SY have become a bit less mentorish in general with other groups I've noticed, but that probably has more to do with their having their own families to keep track of (especially Kim & Thurston), and also practically everyone in the band having their own record label to release the disparate groups they're into on.

I do kind of think the amount of effort that mostly males spend calling Kathleen names and saying she hasn't made an impact rather proves what she and her contemporaries set out to show. If she was really so ignorable then wouldn't people just ignore her?

I'll admit I'm biased, I lived in Oly the same time as her, and she was always totally cool to me. Nonetheless, if her art sucked I wouldn't hesitate to say it. I love Bikini Kill's records, and I really like the Julie Ruin disc as well. I like all I've heard of Le Tigre, but I haven't pursued it that much for whatever reason. That whole post-Grand Royale electro thing has never grabbed me that heavily. However, it has no bearing on who the people who do it are, or what they have to say.

It actually amazes me that a decade and a half after the riot grrls wrote their silly messages on their tummies with magic marker, nearly any message board vaguely associated with punk ends up with massive threads full of young dudes calling them all the names they dared people to call them. They must have hit some sort of raw nerve to say the least.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|