View Single Post
Old 01.06.2009, 02:22 AM   #124
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
it seems as if most of the SY fans that really dig rather ripped probally havent been into the youth for more than a few years...not necessarily a bad thing, at all.

i just know, for me personally (ive been a fan right around 10 years), its not so much that rather ripped was a bad album, as it was a let down. it felt very "devolved", which bothered me because one of the things ive always loved about the youth is how theyve continuously, throughout their entire career EVOLVED.

I agree generally, though I think "Or" is brilliant and quite evolved. Still, that's just 3 minutes tucked inconspicuously at the end.

I've been fanatical about the band for a quarter century, and I did find this particular record to be a mild let down, particularly coming on the heels of Nurse which was highly evolved. But they've had other bumps in the road and rebounded. Personally, I find EJT&NS to be devolved too (intentionally so even, with songs edited down into Guided By Voices wanna-be sketches when they could have soared), but so what, they followed it with Washing Machine, one of their best albums ever.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|