View Single Post
Old 08.02.2008, 04:57 AM   #17
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
my music journey, bizarrely, started with John Steinbeck. I was 13 and reading grapes of wrath, and over the dinner table I asked my dad about something I had read, I said "daaaaad, whats a Levee?". He explained in great length as he always does, and then soon after said, hey, wanna hear a really cool track about Levees? Not beleiving my dad to supply a cool track, I suspiciously said yes, and we pulled an album out the cupboard, blew the dust off it, and put it on. I fell instantly in love with what I heard, and this album, Led Zeppelin IV, was my spring board into music. Over the next couple of years I experienced the joys of Pink Floyd, Kate Bush, Genesis, The Beatles. Then gradually, I started hearing more about a guy called Syd Barrett. Eventually I bought his album The Madcap Laughs, and I was truely hooked on music. Then my music tastes took a strange but nonetheless not at all regrettable diversion, a guy at work got me into the world of 90s hip hop, more specifically trip hop actually, Portishead, massive attack, Nightmares on Wax. Gradually I realised you don't have to be black to appreciate rap. So I went into my local record shop, bought two LPs, Common's Ressurection and De La Soul's 3 Feet High, and that was that. Then, a year or so later, I heard a track by a band called my Bloody Valentine, and once again explored rock for the first time in years, specifically Shoegaze. I gradually tired of this, I wanted a band that was both noisy and arty but not exclusively dreamy. Enter Sonic Youth. Thats not the full story, maybe I'll post recent developments later on, but thats the general outline.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|