View Single Post
Old 05.23.2008, 12:40 AM   #9
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
If you hear my recording from Bumbershoot '99, where they debuted the entire album instrumentally to a giant football stadium full of people, you'll hear exactly why I agree with this dude. Well, I would, if the finished album sounded ANYTHING like my awesome tape from the front row, but unfortunately they took it in an entirely different direction in the studio. Well, I shouldn't say "unfortunately", but it took a long time to accept that album compared to the expectations I had off of that tape...

I stopped listening to early live versions of new songs after that.

I was at that Bumbershoot show and it didn't sound much like Confusion is Sex in the crowd. It sounded like one big "Anagrama" forever, which was awesome. I wonder if your tape added some dark echoey atmosphere that make it more reminiscent of the 8 track noise drone of Confusion. Being there it was more sublime. Not like what the songs turned into on NYC G&F at all, agreed, but more like the SYRs than early SY by far.

That said, I think the connection between Confusion and NYC G&F does sort of exist. Both records have a bit stronger of a Lee vibe to them than lots of others and both feature the band really buckling down to the core of being Sonic Youth. Doing so just meant different things in 1982-3 in the cheapest of rented studios amidst the birth of noise rock than in 1999-2000 in Echo Canyon with O' Rourke twisting the dials as elder statesmen looking back on the train wreck of an alternative nation they'd accidnetally birthed. They did actually play a fair smattering of Confusion tracks on the NYC G&F tour if I remember right.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|