View Single Post
Old 05.01.2010, 03:57 PM   #29
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i'd like to see the american system of majors and minors in the UK, mickey mouse subjects like PR and hotel management can would be got rid of unless someone could prove beyond all doubt that there are things you can learn from doing a hotel management degree that you can't learn on the job.

Yes. Nurses shouldn't be trained in universities either. I'm inclined to thing that business studies should be taught in separate institutions too.

[quote=Toilet & Bowels another thing I would like to see is an end to navel gazing culture of academia, people writing articles about articles about articles, no point anyone makes is valid unless the refer to about 50 other essays first, etc.[/QUOTE]
Yes, that sort culture is what I was trying to get at. It's something I've been thinking a lot about lately. How do these literary scholars justify the time and effort they spend on writing these almost pointless journal articles that hardly anyone will read? But then you need academics to be publishing work for their tenure as a quality control on the lecturers universities hire. And there's also the fact that important academics do use the work of the lesser academics, so in that way these lesser academics may have some small value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
anyone who has at any point in the last 60 years extolled the virtues of critical theory would be executed, and so would their family.
As far as my very limited knowledge of this field goes, I agree with you.

What are you/did you study at uni?
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|