View Single Post
Old 04.07.2009, 09:42 AM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I've watched Inland Empire 4 1/2 times. I think it's okay.

What's your interpretation of it? I think Laura Dern is a ghost, and she was so addled over the violent events of her past that -- in a fugue state -- she picked up the phone to contact her ex-lover, who was a married man. Instead, she ended up calling a set of bunnies in a depression-era apartment, which uncoiled buried memories of previous reincarnations. Thanks to some weird and shocking revelations, she was able to play a record that threaded a needle into the grooves of her psychic field and, with the help of some old polish grandpas and a medium, reminded her of some more suppressed memories. A lot of the film is just her revisiting different points of her life and who she was and how she acted then. At the end, she realizes she'd been happier at home the whole time and should never have wandered away. The moment she promised herself never to fuck married men again, her imprisoned soul was freed, and endless repetitions of this same redemptive act unfolded across the astral plane, liberating thousands in the same transformative transcendental way that Buddha's fire sermon or Christ's death on the cross did for us all. If we would only read the writing on the wall and follow the path into the depths of the studio set, we too have salvation waiting for us.

Something like that.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|