View Single Post
Old 02.02.2013, 05:46 PM   #15
Dr Chocolate
children of satan

Dr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's asses
i lost count, but i got over 50 cds of his
back when i was 5 or 6 years old, SHEIK YERBOUTI was the first thing i ever heard.
cut to public school and around the age of 12-14, i found TINSELTOWN REBELLION for a buck on cassette.
then in high school it was that lousy W.O.I.I.F.T.M./Lumpy Gravy cd
then one day, it turns out that BMG MUSIC (same thing as Columbia House) had some Zappa cds, so i ended up signing up to their service and got all of them. FREAK OUT / WEASELS RIPPED MY FLESH / APOSTROPHE / ONE SIZE FITS ALL, which once i heard Weasels, i totally got into the music. that' is one of the most fucked up, "no wave" classical/jazz/rock/noise albums i've ever heard up to that point. and damn was it good.

something about Zappa albums is just the same for Sonic Youth.
if your first album/cd/cassette is one of the "wtf" albums, then chances are you are going to hold a grudge for years and end up looking like an asshole for dissing them. because, sure. there are what? over 75 Zappa cds now, or so. then where the fuck do you start? here's my list of top 5 to get, and top 5 to avoid (when starting out)

Sheik Yerbouti / Overnight Sensation / Bongo Fury / We're Only In It For The Money / Joe's Garage

Weasels Ripped My Flesh / 200 Motels / The Greatest Band You Never Heard In Your Life / Ahead Of Their Time / Uncle Meat

and just to throw this in. when i used to work the midnight shift and have total control of the stereo at work. i would play CIVILIZATION PHASE III all fucking night long. it'd also make my list of top 5 albums to avoid, but if you are into music that goes nowhere and no real storyline, or something you just want to ignore that's mellow as all fuck. then pick it up. i love listening to that cd, but would never recommend it to someone who wants to get into Zappa.

i used to say that Weasels was the greatest album of his, just cause it's not like the ones before it (kinda like how Ruben & The Jets are like) but the few people i've mentioned this to, thought it was a terrible album. which i dont understand, because i loved that album ever since i first herad it.

but yeah, where the fuck do you start at?
been meaning to copy all my cds and put them into a single binder, just so i can say, whats your favorite Zappa cd to people, and then bust out all the ones i got and say, pick one!

and if you haven't seen 200 MOTELS, then check it out!
even if it's boring as fuck and you dont like it, just sit thru the damn thing and make you mind up after you watched it for a second time. i used to pass out watching that movie a few summers ago.

oh yeah, THE YELLOW SHARK cd is great, but i love the dvd i got, which is not the same recording. same songs, but not the same recording. i think the dvd was the day before, or day after. the songs are in a different order. and i would highly recommend seeing the dvd first, that way you can see just how crazy the orchestra gets. because, you tell me. name 1 other orchestra that uses several bags of potato chips as an instrument, or those cow tipping things that you turn over and they go MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! great dvd, but in my mind. i think because i've watched the concert alot, i can easily get thru the cd version no problem. even if the setlist isn't in the exact same order.

and on the last note. i've never seen Zappa in concert, but those Zappa Plays Zappa shows are fucking amazing! even if it cost $75. it was worth it. and i totally missed out on the YOU CAN'T FIT THIS ON STAGE ANYMORE tour (which was the 4th tour) i just couldn't afford it. sure it was $150 a ticket. but each show is in a tiny club (200 tickets limited in toronto) and you get a shirt, a cd download, and this and that.

and the final p.s.
when the fuck are they going to release that goddamn ROXY movie?
Dr Chocolate is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|