View Single Post
Old 04.10.2012, 07:49 AM   #15553
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
cool, I'd recommend totally fucked up and mysterious skin... and of course the living end.

Watched one of my favorite movies of all time a few minutes ago, Fellini's La Dolce Vita

Fellini has made 3 of my favorite films of all time: Amarcord, 8 1/2, and La Dolce Vita... and I like to go back and forth to them to figure which one captivates me the most. I'd say that 8 1/2 is easily his most impressive essentially by the way it's crafted... but the other titles I mentioned aren't too far behind for me on a personal level. I remember watching a 15 minute introduction to "La Strada", another brilliant piece of work by fellini. The introduction was by Martin Scorsese... he said something along the lines of "8 1/2 is when Fellini landed on mars". Again, I'm paraphrasing... but that does exemplify it perfectly. It is by far his most cohesive and complete work he's done... and undoubtedly his most unique (a word I reserve for special occasions). Anyways, right off La Dolce Vita starts with one of its many iconic scenes with the helicopter carrying the statue of jesus over a series of beautiful landscapes and images. I'd not only say this is one of the most impressive shots in a Fellini film, but one of my favorite openings I've ever seen. Not having any music during this sequence also added something special to it. The contrast between this opening moment... which suggests a certain sense of hedonism over the inner city... as well as religion and christian faith as the statue of jesus christ flies with its arms spread out over Rome... to go along with the disquieting nature of the actual characters which definitely demonstrates a bit of humor every now and then. My favorite shot is easily when the main characters step into the fountain and it abruptly shifts from night to morning. Marcello Mastroianni is excellent as usual... I also wouldn't insinuate that I grasped all of fellini's symbolism... but nonetheless this is one of the most entertaining 3 hour films I've seen.

9/10

I also find that my fave Fellini changes all the time but tends to be one of either 8 1/2, La Dolce Vita, Amarcord or La Strada. I love them all for different things. You're right, the opening of LDV is brilliant but my favourite scene in that film is probably the visit to the 'miracle' with the children or when Mastroianni first sees the young girl at the restaurant. But all of his films have those little, almost inconsequential moments which somehow stick with you: the snowball fight or the nun climbing the tree in Amarcord; Gelsomina performing for the children in La Strada; etc.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|