View Single Post
Old 07.17.2010, 10:25 PM   #11410
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

To be honest, I find most of those films kinda boring and dull. I just don't really get into his style at all. It's this really REALLY dry (but unfunny) thing with unlikeable characters getting into really safe situations (I'd say "obvious" but they're not so much that as they are "complacent"; like, nothing surprising happens ever, it all just kinda goes from one ultradry "kinda quirky" segment to the next). My thing about Tannenbaums is that the first 20 minutes is this really long narrated thing, with each character and their life history, and I really think it's such a terrible way to open a film; 20 minutes of a guy going, "YEAH, THIS GIRL HAD A BIRD AND IT DID THIS, AND THEN THE DAD WAS SAD AND THE MOM WAS MAD AND THE OTHER KID DID THIS OH AND THEN 3 YEARS LATER AT A BIRTHDAY, THE DAD WAS SMOKING AND HE DID THIS." I just found that annoying, so that by the time the actual "film" happens, I'm already just out of it... the pacing is terrible and the characters suck. then the rest of the film freely cuts between these characters I can't stand. It doesn't help that he casts the Wilsons, Stiller, Adrien Brody, all people I don't like. I dunno. Just not into his style or his storytelling.

I think Rushmore is really good though. Actually, it's great. He uses what I find irritating about his other flicks and does something interesting with it. Of his other films, Bottle Rocket is tolerable. The rest just... eh.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|