View Single Post
Old 11.27.2017, 10:50 AM   #4806
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
he doesn’t hate or blame or fingerpoint them— he sees and shows their humanity. he was a moralist, but he wasn’t a fucking puritan.

I tend to divide Tolstoy into pre and post "Christian" conversion.

I mean, he came to renounce his earlier work and wrote stories with titles like "God Sees the Truth but Waits." I insist there are two Tolstoys, although I guess I never really thought through what the similarities might be.

Have you read War and Peace? He'll completely stop the action for twenty pages to give his theory on history. I have nothing against his essays, but it's annoying when they are crammed into a novel. That was my only criticism of his non-fiction.

I still read Anna and think, "Yeah, that's how the world works" rather than "What a good point" or "I see where he's coming from" or "Geez, he was tough on that character." Maybe I just ignored the moralism in favor of the realism.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|