View Single Post
Old 10.15.2015, 07:35 PM   #7
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Who needs it? Ah, well. Listen, all I'll say is this... If people "need" Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull... If people "needed" 3 terrible Star Wars films that nearly killed the film franchise, and still feel that they "need" 3 goddamn more so badly that they're willing to accept the ultra modern, edgy vision of a completely new director hired only because of his ability to rejuvenate the franchise's main cinematic nemesis... If people "need" Batman so badly that they're willing to risk sullying not one but TWO franchises by sticking Ben Affleck in a Fucking Bat suit....

If people "need" any of this shit, then the entire idea of need has lost its meaning. Fuck need. I want it. I want to see what Ridley Scott has planned for a continuation of his best film.

And, you know, it's not a reboot. That would be very strange indeed, since part of what makes Blade Runner so brilliant is what the film did with the limited technology of the time. Pulling a "Robo-cop" with such a revered film would such all the life out of the original. (I liked the new Robo-cop actually, but that's neither here nor there)....

It's a fucking sequel! And in some ways in wondering what the hell might be done to make such a thing worth while myself. But if Ford likes it, and Gosling is signed on (he's one of the best actors of his era, dammit. "Hey girl" or no "hey girl") and Ridley's pumped about it, then I'm fucking dying to see why.

Blade Runner was not really a true adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Perhaps this film will tie the story of the book in with the existing film. Perhaps it will act as a Godfather II style ½ prequel ½ sequel. Maybe it will just make shit up. Whatever happens, it seems to be a done deal. If it's gonna happen, I can't imagine not being excited about it.

i'm not cynical or anything, but i try to not get excited in advance of anything if i can help it. i'm not saying it's going to be shit, but i'm not saying it's going to be great either. i'll just wait patiently doing something else rather than exert myself in expectations. i'll save my energy for the actual watching.

i had no idea robocop had been refried! detroit is still in ashes 500 years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
if only there was anything modern about the new star wars. its rehashed shit with the technological imaginary of a bumpkin from the 1970s like most other sci fi today

star wars was never about thechnology, it's a religious text. but you're right that the cyberpunk imaginarium hasn't been superseded-- at least not in film. we're stuck at the post-apocalyptic bullshit because our minds haven't yet comprehended the reality created by total networking. terminator sees it as the enemy and advocated techno-regression-- that's a fucking old trope. the matrix is a metaphor for that connectivity but it remains broad and metaphoric and it also gets religious in the end (hinduism). i don't know anybody yet who's working out the kinks of the new emerging hive mind- it's all "de macheen weel keel usss". boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
In terms of their outcome, I agree, but the franchises you mentioned were at least built on original films that anticipated serials. Blade Runner didn't and to try and justify a sequel, Ridley Scott has simply pretended that the original's perfectly acceptable enigmatic ending was actually just a cliffhanger all along. The beauty (and point) of that ending was that we were never meant to know.

exactly. after 20 recuts it's done & overdone. let it rest.

but you know, if something good comes out, i'l be happy. AFTERWARDS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I just paid ten bucks to see MP and the Holy Grail on the big screen, at my local blah multiplex. Happened all over the US, if I understood correctly. I wonder how much was made that day?

If there's a story that desperately needs to be told w/ BRII, who are we to stand in the way? But if it's just money, re-release the original, I say. People will go and pay, particularly people like me who live in a place where the same company or two owns all the theaters which play the same predictable fifteen or so movies.

Just a wild guess with nothing to back it up: more people would've paid to see a re-release of the original Vacation on the big screen than the remake. Same idea.

i didn't know about this but i'd expect that holy grail would be more of a nerd social event than an actual movie release. would have loved to attend one! preferably in keg party form. yes?

i did first watch BR as one of its many recuts/re-releases (which one i couldn't tell you, there have been so many), but that was before plasma tvs and blurays made theatres such a chore.

nowadays you need 3D to mobilize the suckers. hence the refries.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|