View Single Post
Old 09.13.2018, 07:05 PM   #22828
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i guess it devolves so much i cant recall it

see, kubrick was sort of famous for often using “bland” actors.

i dont even know the name of the guy in 2001 (sorry guy)

ryan o’neal with barry lyndon

tom cruise in eyes wide shut has all of 2 facial expressions

in a way due to pure genius peter sellers in dr strangelove. apparently the man had no personality outside his characters. he blended perfectly.

one can reason fmj was pvt joker’s story from beginning to end. but matthew modine’s “bland” qualities are completely overshadowed by d’onofrio’s intense performance.

d’onofrio steals the movie and breaks it in half when he’s gone. emotionally, the movie feels like it is about pyle, and with him gone, i’m nowhere.

that’s my take.

i still cant remember the rest...

Fuck I forgot about 2001.

God. I need to re-watch all of these (even AI don’t @ me), because there’s just so much greatness.

I see FMJ as a systematic revolution of humanity story. It hits home before it goes abroad. Shows the different stages of the “disease” of war and violence and cultures based on idealizing those concepts.

You’re not wrong that Vincent D. Is the most captivating part, but I still say the movie works as a whole.

Maybe if it was cut up... back and forth, with the movie staring in nam and flashing back periodically to basic training, giving the Pyle stall scene a spot near the end... maybe that would work better?
But for whatever it’s worth, I love both movies shoved up Full Metal Jacket.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|