View Single Post
Old 04.29.2009, 10:56 AM   #255
Eli Renfro
little trouble girl

Eli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's asses
A good, solid album. It's probably not going to crack into the list of one of my favorites, but it's better than their weaker albums. So it's somewhere in the middle of the pack of their LPs, which means its pretty darn good.

My quick description would be the more mature 21st century SY songwriting style mixed with a Goo/Dirty type of aesthetic...if that makes any sense.

The Lee songs are the best Lee songs since NYC Ghosts, for sure. Walkin Blue is actually one of my favorite Lee songs ever, I hope it makes it to the live repertoire.

Massage the History is the best song on the album, though. So atmospheric and moody, love Kim's vocals, the acoustic guitar, etc... Fantastic way to end the album.

Malibu kicks ass. Antenna should become a Thurston concert staple. Actually, the only 2 songs I'm not really into are Sacred Trickster and Anti-Orgasm. I like the music of Anti-Orgasm, especially the spacey outro at the end, but the lyrics and "vocal stylings" are just... lame. Like if I was listening to Eternal with a friend or two at my place, I'd skip it so I wouldn't have to feel embarrassed to be listening to it. But I guess I'm in the minority on that opinion...oh well.