View Single Post
Old 01.20.2007, 11:58 PM   #18
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Certainly there are those who find drone music boring, and I can't come up with a way to argue against them just because I love it and find it satisfying. What I'm curious about, is how somebody could wind up posting on a board centered around Sonic Youth who finds drone music boring? I suppose if your favorite album by them were Rather Ripped, I might understand, but even Dirty has a fair share of droniness at points.

I'm a huge fan going back (at least) to the Theater of Eternal Music that the Velvet Underground evolved out of. As for boring live, it all depends on what you are trying to get out of the experience. In general, you can't "mosh" to drone (though I've seen it done at SY shows, so it's not impossible) but if you are more intested in listening to something as it is happening, then it's as interesting as on recordings. I agree with val-holla-ing that finding out how something is made can be very interesting, but then I've seen people like Andrew Liles who supplied really great video imagery timed to the music instead, and that was just as good in a different way.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|