Thread: Nine Inch Nails
View Single Post
Old 07.29.2016, 10:28 PM   #71
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
The final season was filmed on an extremely tight budget, meaning that they had each actor available for a very limited amount of filming time, and having most or all of the cast in scenes together would have been too expensive to shoot. They ended up changing the entire dynamics of the show by using scenes where only two or three of the cast interact at a time, building up the "plot" that way, and reducing the cast's amazing adlibbing and improvisational opportunities.

Gob is a fucking asshole when not balanced by his family. Michael comes off as a fucking pathetic fuck in his own right when not contrasted with his horrible family. Michael Jr has NO REASON TO EXIST apart from his supposed crush on Maybe.

God it was brutal to watch that last season.

I was never a huge fan, because I get tired of endless TV shows about white folks with superficially interesting "problems" which are not really problems, instead being just dumb shit miscommunications and stupidity unchecked.

Plus every single character that was not a rich white person was a fucking cartoon for ridicule.

I kind of think you've managed to somehow miss the entire point of the show. The entire thing is about laughing at the very people you seem to think it accidentally catered to. Yes, EVERYONE is an idiot. Everyone is spoiled beyond belief. Everyone believes they're entitled to whatever they want. The funny part is how obvious their emotional emptiness is. If you ever thought Michael was anything other than a completely pathetic asshole, you were watching the show wrong.

I don't know about your claims about the budget, but it doesn't strike me as a particularly budget-concerned show to begin with. You may be right, but from my understanding, the plot of season 4 was written in a certain way to add another dimension to the narrative. It ended up playing out like a novel, according to Michael Hurwitz. Which wasn't his intention, but remember the show had been off the air for years, so there was an inherent need to show what each family member had been up to in the intervening years.

I think Seasob 4 had some of Gob's best moments, and some of Michael's as well. Definitely several of Tobias' best moments, and George-Michael was great in it. I loved the narration of his tapping into an almost genetic predisposition for lying (like literally every other person on the show/in his family) and kind of becoming a Bluthe for the first time.

I really just think it's a very acquired taste. There was tons of brilliant adlibbing in Season 4. It was just more character focused. The show is about soulless, narcissistic people. That's the entire point. There's no hero. There's just ridiculousness. It's a great deal like Seinfeld in that regard.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|