View Single Post
Old 06.17.2007, 10:21 AM   #112
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
In that case they should have said that when Lou Reed was in hospital with hepatitis, Henry Flint replaced him for a while, and Cale reckons that they played some of their best shows without him. whohahahahaha!

Actually, I was going to ask about that. I thought I remembered Henry Flynt being in the band for some reason but wasn't aware of the exact circumstances. I know I'm being a pedant but I think that's a bit different because that was a temporary replacement. If we imagine that Angus Maclise didn't exist (as Lou Reed would probably like to) then the program saying that Reed, Morrison, Cale and Tucker were the original lineup would be true whether or not Flynt deputised for Reed. I don't think it would be necessary for the program to mention him (although it would be nice).

In summary, what I am saying is, by omitting any mention Maclise from the program they are making a factual error but they aren't by not mentioning Flynt. They could have got around it by changing how they worded it and still left out Maclise but that would be too easy. I agree, he's a footnote in the VU story at best but, in this case, his absence flags up some lazy research.

I know your comment was probably tongue in cheek porky but Reeds snubbing of others that played in VU really pisses me off. I seem to recall him having something disparaging to say about Flynt as well. It doesn't surprise me that Cale thought the stuff with Flynt was better because he's a much more interesting musician than Lou Reed who's most interesting record outside of VU was a childish hissyfit designed to piss off his fans and record label (Metal Machine Music).
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|