View Single Post
Old 01.05.2007, 11:37 AM   #4
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
I will reply to your review here, Bytor, so as to not bump another tapes thread to the front page.

Quote:
Straight & Narrow Kennel District! (possibly the name of the tape?)

Recorded October 4, 2006 in Liverpool, England - Planet Earth - by Danny Himself (hand written on a yellow post-it's and stuck to the inlay tape case card)

I Need To Sleep.
I Need To Sleep.
I Need To Sleep.
Why Won't You?
Why Won't You?
Let Me Sleep. (hand written poem on the inlay tape case card)

JMC Retro & Fish Graveyard & Cinnabon! (this phrase is hand written on a green label that is affixed to the tape case

ARTWORK

I've been experiencing some computer problems and there are some issues with my scanner. Due to this, I will be unable to post the artwork. My best description: there is an eagle that has been cut and pasted to the tape case inlay card. Actually, something is glued to the tape case inlay card and the eagle is then glued to that. Not sure if the eagle is there just because it fits or if there is some hidden message that I'm missing out on? Could the dolphin sounds really be eagle sounds?

SIDE A

01. French Movie Theme - Smashing Pumpkins (94). A great track to open a mix tape with. It's a Pumpkin track that I wasn't even aware of - NICE!
Throughout the tape, the sounds of dolphins / proposes (or whales) appear between some of the tracks. Not exactly sure what it is, but it does fit nicely.
02. Don't have a clue as to what this is - "I'm lonely, think I've got a special way."
03. Farewell Ride - Beck (05). A great tune and it very well may prompt me to go purchase the album.
More dolphin sounds......at the end, it sounds like a cassette tape stop......as if these sounds are coming from another cassette tape.
04 He Turns Down - Cat Power (98). I don't own any Cat Power albums, but I very well may have enough individual tracks on different mix tapes that could make up a proper Cat Power release. Cat Power is very popular with the mix tape mix masters.
05. Good Feeling - Violent Femmes (82). 1982 - WOW - time sure does fly by. Follows the Cat Power track quite nicely.
More dolphin sounds......sort of wonder if this isn't some sort of avant jazz manipulation?
06. Leif Erikson - Interpol (02). Solid track from an album that I really enjoy.
More dolphins......
07. The State I Am In - Belle & Sebastian (96).

SIDE B

Starts off with twenty seconds of engine revving.
01. Don't have a clue? Long Instrumental Jam that has an abrupt end. (I'm guessing the track goes on forever).
More dolphin sounds......
02. Wind Cries Marry - Jimi Hendrix (one of my favorite Hendrix tracks)
03. Don't have a clue again? A fun sounding organ piece that makes me want to sing, "I'll Take You There."
More dolphins......
04. "okay 1, 2 - 1, 2, 3, 4" (only three seconds long) and then a song starts that sort of sounds like a Radiohead outtake.
More dolphins......
05. No Clue Here, but I feel like I should know this? "take us to the disco tech"
More dolphins with what sounds like electronic beats.
06. California(?) - not sure if this is the name or who it is......possibly Lead Belly?
07. "Wondering what to do......now you know this is the end." Again, I have no clue and I'm anxious for Danny to tell us who this is.

I've listened to the tape three times and I will enjoy it for years to come. You can see / hear that Danny Himself took his time making this tape. PLEASE give some great details Danny about the dolphin sounds.

The dolphin sounds were taken from a tape I have of undersea recordings of Pacific Orca Whales off the coast of Washington and British Columbia. The long jam on side 2 is The Smashing Pumpkins, with a song that might as well go on forever. That track was Leadbelly. The final track on side 2 was The Specials. The other tracks are probably Pavement tracks- I always forget what I put on tapes but I was addicted to Pavement when I made that tape. I put the eagle there because I like eagles.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|