Thread: Religion thread
View Single Post
Old 11.06.2017, 08:01 PM   #85
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
How?

......and more importantly, why?

Because this is a religion thread and most folks here are openly against it, and I thought you might be being cute with the binary morality statements, which bear a striking resemblance to the black and white of religio-speak.

I agree that things like what happened in Texas are hard to describe as anything other than “evil.” Seriously. Vegas too. So many other things. But I don’t think one can make the argument that strapping up to fight said “evil” with the instruments used to commit said acts is, like, *good.* Huge moral leap there. Huge logical leap top. There’s no binary logic to apply to this. Arming people to fight the armed people is not any kind of solution to any kind of problem.

And there are multiple problems here. One is that “bad” people with bad intentions are hurting other people. Another is that those people have access to weapons to help them. Another problem is that said weapons exist, and we as a society very obviously do not yet m kw how to handle them. So I just take strong issue with the “we need more armed citizens” response.

That is literally the last thing anyone needs, and perhaps the most counter-intuitive solution to the problem that I can even imagine.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|