View Single Post
Old 02.06.2014, 08:24 PM   #17752
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Not dismissing them at all but I've personally never found them that funny. Which puts them in the same category as Chaplin for me. As you say, iconic but, besides maybe the odd scene or sketch, neither of them have ever particularly made me laugh.
chaplin was so widely influential and imitated that by the time we got to see him he didn't look that fresh anymore. fellini's giulietta massina is chaplinesque. jacques tati is chaplinesque. i know people compare rowan atkinson with buster keaton but i find a lot of chaplin in his mr. bean. chaplin is more obvious in those performers but who didn't he influence in comedy really? he's like water and we're fish.

anyway, i am not always in the mood for monty python, sometimes they are too nihilistic for me (as in "the meaning of life"), but i can't ignore their contributions. anyway, to continue from where this conversation begun, they are much much bigger here than whitnail and i or fawlty towers. their broadway musical alone (oh, there's a genre i truly detest, but is very culturally relevant regardless) has been going on non-stop since their debut in 2004 and shows no signs of abating.

ps- heres an article that might shed light on the impact of python on the us vs. england
http://www.theawl.com/2013/03/the-be...-flying-circus

Quote:
I was to learn, on first visiting England in the late 1970s, that the natives (impossibly!) thought Monty Python rather passé.

and here an example of how far fans will take things. you don't have to read it all, just check it
http://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/the-mo...-business.html
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|