View Single Post
Old 12.01.2010, 04:39 AM   #13352
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Goddamn, Seijin Suzuki is the BEST, isn't he? Glad to see someone else who is into his stuff... seeing Pistol Opera (and Pierrot Le Fou) is what inspired me to start directing films. Branded to Kill is in my top 10 films ever. He is also a huge influence on other great directors, like Takeshi Kitano and Wong-Kar Wai.

I prefer his genre deconstruction films, but his more straightforward films rule too.

My top 10 would be:

1. Branded to Kill
2. Pistol Opera
3. Kagero-Za
4. Take Aim the Police Van
5. Tokyo Drifter
6. A Tale of Sorrow and Sadness (this one might be hard to find... I think it's on cinemageddon, though... anyway, it's one of his best works.. and it's mostly about GOLF! Yet, somehow, it ends up being his most complex film)
7. Story of a Prostitute
8. Zigeunerweusen
9. Capone Cries a Lot
10. Yumeji

I think his "Taisho" Trilogy (Yumeji, Kagero-Za, and Zigeunerweusen) is probably his best work overall, though they can be probably be a bit much for most people (as they're long and slow, but trust me... they're brilliant). His films just EXPLODE with visual brilliance, manic energy, and he seems unconcerned with telling a straightforward story -- even in his more straightforward tales -- all the while keeping his camera moving, his characters talking, and piling on the brilliant sound and images that make his films feel more like a work of art. His films are highly addictive, too, I watched BRanded to Kill 3 times the week I got it! Hmm.. I still need to see Princess Raccoon, but I've seen just about everything else. Sadly, he has retired from filmmaking, citing health issues.

Just a great director, one of the best ever...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|