View Single Post
Old 10.21.2016, 10:53 AM   #1316
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I don't really mean that people who abstain from voting aren't "allowed" to talk about political or social issues. Sorry for the hyperbole.

My comments apply to some other comments more so than yours, I know you are not quite as politically crass.

Quote:

But I definitely believe that voting is a privilege (not a "right" in the true sense of the word). That is, it is not inalienable. It CAN be taken away (and is taken away from millions of people every day). Millions the world over are not born with the freedom to do it, and in reality millions never know that freedom.
So it's not a "right" ... it's a priviledge. And it's absolutely a duty for people with that priviledge to exercise it, not just for ourselves but for the people in the world who do not have that freedom, in the hope that maybe someday they will.

Yet a fundamental ontology of the premise of democracy is that one's vote for their conscience or what they believe in. If the candidates, or parties, or platforms, or polices, or propositions are found to be disagreeable, it is no longer democracy if one's are intimidated to vote for such! See what I mean? It becomes a kind of tyranny on its own, this pressure to conform. Further its a total cop out for those who "lose" an election to blame or intimidate those who voted differently or didn't vote, because the problem is not that those voted differently or didn't vote, THE PROBLEM IS THE PARTIES DIDN'T DEVELOP A CANDIDATE, POLICY, OR PROPOSITION THAT CONVINCED THE CONSTIUENCY TO VOTE!!!!

The job of politicians is to convince people like me to vote, and if I am not convinced they didn't do their job. If any of y'all who support one candidate or policy couldn't convince me to vote for it, y'all didn't you your job simple as that. Don't get mad at or blame me for YOUR OWN POLITICAL FAILURES. its not my fault for being honest, and if y'all hold it against me haha that is totally your mistake.

I DON'T HOLD IT AGAINST ANYONE WHEN THEY VOTE FOR SOMETHING OR SOMEONE, so don't hold it against me if I choose not to for the sake of my own political conscience, it is my right to protest or boycott a vote just as much as it is yours to vote!

Quote:
I also believe that if you're going to complain about politics, or insult people for their political choices, you'd goddamn better well be doing your civic fucking duty.

If I ever insulted someone in a personal way for their politics I apologize sincerely. However, sorry y'all, but to try and quell or silence political speech, opinions, or voice simply because it disagrees with your own view or approach including voting or not is some alt-right fascist bullshit!

Quote:
Or, rather, if you're going to yell and scream about (for example) marijuana legality, you'd better be willing to cast a vote about it.

Yes and no, for example even if I personally don't vote for Prop 64 here in California, I can use my own political voice to discuss it, analyze its merits, and possibly convince others to vote for or against it based on my opinions. THIS IS HOW POLITICS WORK PEOPLE. DUH

Quote:
If you're going to insult people for the way they choose to vote then you'd better man up and be a living breathing example of what you claim others should be.

Yes and no, though personally i thin personal level insults have no business in politics (insults against voters that is, not necessarily candidates or policies those are open game)

Quote:
If you hated Obama, don't be a pussy... get out there ad vote for someone who's going to do something differently!

And if none of the candidates available would do anything different then what?

Quote:
One can't just sit back and yell from the sidelines. Well, one definitely can, but it's Fucking selfish and absurd. If you're not going to get in the game, don't yell at the ref.

maybe it is selfish and absurd to think that you can bully, badger, or harangue people into voting for things they don't agree with or believe in??

See y'all ever think through your attacks on non-voters, if I said i was not voting because i was lazy, fine, fuck with me, but if I say I am not voting because i don't believe in what there is to vote for? Why attack that?

Doesn't seem fair to me. Further to try and silence my political voice because I don't believe in the voting options is equally unfair and needlessly hostile.

Whateverz y'all, go through this every election, doesn't hurt my feelings but it seems to make those who vote feel some kind of way which I find ironic

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|