View Single Post
Old 03.23.2007, 06:01 PM   #82
ithinkimissyou
stalker

ithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's asses
Going back to the original post.

Everybody has their own take on the merits/otherwise of a band revisiting their earlier material. That's fine. Personally (that has to be my most used word) I feel that this performance is something positive, and not countrary to their status as artists.

My own view is that seeing Daydream Nation, performed live by Sonic Youth is a rare occurance. It is one of my favourite albums, from my favourite band. I will never see the likes again in my lifetime, I will treasure the experience. That is the basic rationale behind me travelling to London.

People generally don't take issue with a symphony orchestra playing the great works of Mozart or Rachmaninov. I see this performance as roughly equivalent, except of course, the artist themselves are alive to perform it. For me, this is the great bonus.

1988 will not be summoned back during these performances, I don't want it to be. I know this is a horrible cliché, but great art is timeless.

These nights in Camden are a celebration of exceptional material and the people who wrote it. We're very lucky to have the opportunity to experience it.

Just my take.