View Single Post
Old 05.30.2017, 09:43 PM   #48840
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

One Foot In The Grave was my favorite. And Stereopathetic Soulmanure is arguably a better example of all the sides of Beck at this time. But Mellow Gold was my (and most's?) introduction. And the fact that it was his major label debut is impressive. Cuz this shit is actually pretty weird. He was touted as this anti-folk dude - and tracks like "Pay No Mind" (amazing!), "Whiskeyclone Hotel City 1997", "Fukin With My Head" and "Nightmare Hippy Girl" all back this up. But then he had his weird quasi-rap stuff like "Loser" which was of course a hit, but that riff is still badass. Or "Beercan" which samples the GD Melvins! Then he's got "Truck Drivin Neighbors Downstairs" with its audible tape hiss and slowed vocals. Then a re-recording of "Motherfucker" from Golden Feelings which is like folk metal. But maybe the finest moment here for me is "Steel My Body Home" which I feel like predicts the atmospheric stuff he'd do later on Mutations or something. This album is all over the place and a reminder of a time when major labels just got the hell out of the way and let an artist make their album. It's awesome and I'll always love it big time.