View Single Post
Old 12.23.2009, 01:46 AM   #91
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
both pbradley and suchfriends invoke the idea of the 'good' or true christian. now i'm not saying this to be cynical or out of spite but i have never known one of these to exist in my personal life anyway. perhaps there are some out there, if so i'd like to see them. isn't christianity too fragmented and diverse for a set of characteristics narrow enough to converge in an archetypal good christian? also i would question the massive bias in our cultural towards seeing an inherent goodness in christianity. even when taken at its most pious, inoffensive and banally positive there are dangerous and morally shaky presumptions. i find the commandment thou shalt not steal simply evil. i find the idea of jesus's crucifiction as redemption for our sins to be horrendous. i find it to be the most masochistically arrogant act i'd like to imagine. the idea that jesus got gifts from wise men on his birthday and on that very same day you too little boy or girl will get a present - to be closer to the source of our selfish materialism rather than the outcome of our corruption. Are not the properties of christmas that pbradley mentioned that are destructive to humanism and christian agape precisely those very same properties that are integral to it ie. covering up the wound of crucifiction with a crude material gift? a tenuous link could also be made with the whole feeding thousands with a small quantity of bread and fish thing and the capitalist view of the enviroment as an infinite resource to consume. i think it is a mistake to view christianity as being corrupted by man and instead view the characteristics of man's corruption as stemming from his christian civilisation. i've always seen the jesus myth as an apology for imperialism and our ideas of selfish individualism rather than a way out of them. isn't the idea of worshipping this tortured rebel a way of making sure noone stands up to the roman empire of today? isn't original sin just a way of instilling guilt and control? any christian who would follow that fucked up pyscho yahweh is simply wrong. what's worth salvaging from christianity? Surely not following christ to the cross? isn't he blocking our way beyond that fear anyway? isn't much of the relegion too ridiculously fictitious to be considered anything beyond kitsch insanity?

dawg, wtf is wrong with u?

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|