View Single Post
Old 04.10.2008, 12:24 PM   #66
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Also... Glice, my point [B
wasn't [/b]that they shouldn't cover sun City Girls at all -- my point is, why do they bother? The only albums they've reviewed are those three reissues and a Carnival Folklore Ressurection release (which was limited to like 400 copies)... when they've had a brand new singles collection released last month that pitchfork hasn't even bothered reviewing. I don't understand why they review Kanye West and shit like that, you know, literally reviewing "everything" to appear to be the be-all/end-all source of music, and then they just kinda roughly cover stuff like SCG... why even bother reviewing a reissued soundtrack when there have a recent more noteworthy album that they could be reviewing?

I'm sorry to repeat myself - I hate it when other people do it to me - but I still can't see what the problem is when a very well known organ of information relating to music covers a band that are not very well know but very well-liked by a minority of people. If you're criticising the quality of that coverage - fine, but I don't believe that a few innacuracies or ommisions really make that much of a difference.

You're right insofar as lots of people round here know SCG, but if it weren't for a handful or articles on much less 'obscure' groups in Melody Maker/ NME when I was a teenager, I wouldn't have picked up on a lot of the stuff I did.

Last.fm is just another manifestation of 'how to reach out to people who haven't heard 'good' stuff'. You can invoke qualitative differences (and let's let it be known here - I don't follow Pitchfork, neither do I use last.fm) but the bottom line, for me, is that regardless of how people get information about 'good' music, the fact that it's out there is a good thing.

I think you're a similar age to me, so I'm surprised by your attitude. I wasn't a teenager that long ago, but the internet was by no means a going concern for disseminating musical information when I was a teenager, and the possibility of me coming across a band like Wolf Eyes (let along SCG) was miniscule given the options available to me (John Peel/ The Evening Session/ NME and the like). Sure the ability for people to find out about 'good' (but not well known) music, however blithely it's done, is a good thing?

Regarding the obscure thing - I live in a city now; there's a healthy amount of people around who know about 'not widely known' music. When I was growing up in a village on the outskirts of no-wheresville, Somerset, there was absolutely no-one around me who was even that aware of Blur, let alone something like Sonic Youth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|