View Single Post
Old 01.17.2017, 09:58 AM   #52
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
What is music, ultimately, other than the feelings it inspires in the listener? Throwing anything else into the mix is and ultimately confusing the issue. "High Fidelity" is fun, but that's not life. In life, if you hear something and it makes you feel a certain way, that's the experience. Muddying the waters with philosophical rhetoric about the nature and taxonomy of the music (i.e. Well, that's [style x] and I've decided to identify as a [style y] type of person, so I have to hate [non x-adjacent] things on principle!") is completely unproductive, and ultimately harmful to cultural discussions of art.

But if you're going to be a hard-liner about this kind of thing, you really need to condemn like 90% of recorded music. Does Al Green line up with your outsider/alienation thing? Does Eric Clapton? Led Zeppelin? The Beatles? Michael Jaskson? Prince? BOWIE? None of them should. Assuming they don't, does this mean none of these artists have any good music to their credit? Shouldn't.

I kind of hate Led Zeppelin. They seem to sort of represent a lot of the things about music that I hate most. But I would be insane to suggest that this means they never kicked out the fucking jams.

Anyway, wow. You hate NIN a lot. I thought I hated Drake, but you apparently think NIN is so offensive to "The Pure" that any memory of true "How did we ever get there?" head-scratchers like Limp Bizkit and Nickelback seems to have escaped you. Like, really? NIN's the worst? Worse than its own severed conjoined twin acts like Filter and Marilyn Manson? Ohhhhhhhhhhnononononoooo, I think not.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|