View Single Post
Old 07.20.2011, 02:23 AM   #52
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I have now listend Tarkus few times. And at first I say I have listened music so long and specially prog music so I can say very correct opinion about it just a few time listening, my opinion nowdays changes very little after more listening, but I will listening it more and tell here if it changes radically.

Well, it is good as most of the first seventies years prog albums are but...I think the main problem in ELP is that they seem to have need to make music that shows how incredible talented musicians they are rather to create strong atmospheres, beautiful melodies and also raw moods and riffs to balance the beaty and make music more interesting like many other prog bands do that time. I think Greg lake is the only one who do not have need to show all the time how talented he is (thereīs very good guitar playing in the battlefield, it remains me Dave Gilmour). Stones of Years and the Battlefield in Tarkus, the Only Way and a Time and a Place are great, but rest of the album is much more mediocre than many great prog albums. Many other bands could also make better long entities, Tarkus (I mean the whole a-side) sounds to me as if theyīve put together quite different parts without any clue. As a matter of fact I have always thought Rush is a kind of father of Neoprog-style, but I think it is ELP. Well ELP is not of course as bad as for example Dream Theater.

Itīs very hard to say whatīs best band ever, but definitely in my opinion it isnīt ELP. At the moment I think itīs Sonic Youth (some moments itīs Joy Division). If it was prog band, I think it would be Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Wigwam or Jethro Tull. The problem is that like all other prog bands also these bands after seventies material is kind of banal if you compare it to their great years. Of course there is differences in bands after seventies material, some are better than someone else. But I think SY have kept freshness into their records altough itīs also kind "old" band.

If someone wants to get to know prog music, I wonīt recommend him Tarkus, because I think there are lots of stereotypes of prog many people hates. Instead I will recommed to him Pink Floyd Dark Side, Genesis Selling England, Yes the Yes Album, King Crimson in the Court of, Jethro Tull Aqualung or Wigwam Fairyport.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|