Thread: In/Out/In
View Single Post
Old 03.31.2022, 02:17 PM   #15
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Even at the height of my most rabid SY fandom, I found "Social Static" fairly underwhelming. "Basement Contender" is definitely later-day SY by the numbers, with not much exploration to consider. "In & Out" is nice but not essential.

"Machine" is a fun little tune, I discussed it during the first "Song of the Week" feature @ the tab site. "Out & In" is the real gem here - it first caught my ear on the Things Behind The Sun soundtrack and hearing the expanded edition on the Not The Spaces You Know... compilation was a massively unexpected treat. Sure, it devolves into total jam territory, but it's also effortlessly awesome, the Jim version of the band was really hitting their stride around that time.

So yeah - it's a weird collection for sure. There's gotta be tons of unreleased jam stuff, I wish we'd see more of those long-rumored backburnered SYR projects. But anything that gets SY back on people's radars is a cool thing!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|