View Single Post
Old 05.04.2009, 12:08 AM   #371
koolthing78
bad moon rising

koolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asses
Ok, I'm doing this on page 9 of 19, so there's bound to be a lot of things I would've responded to that I haven't read yet (either in agreement or disagreement), but so far what I've been able to boil it down to in my head is this: some people place more importance on the "sounds" (tone, volume, "skronk," weirdo things, etc.), and some people place more on the chord patterns/structure. I can see it both ways, but if I had to choose one, I would fall in the latter category. Which is why, as of right now (which is very early, so I'm in no place to be an impartial judge), I thought RR was a better album (though I have yet to give this the "weed test," but I think by now I'm a pretty accurate judge as to what I'd like high). This is not to say that either side is right or wrong--some of the noise and the chiming sounds I hear on this album were sorely missed from their last, and it feels so good to hear them again. The problem (minor as it may be) is that they're occuring over largely simplistic chord patterns--namely the 1-2-1-2 Thurston seems to be so fond of (or the reverse of that: the 2-1-2-1 (as in the "Empty Page" (which is still a fine song; it's just that I don't personally find that a particularly exciting direction (and I only mention because I remember being uneasily dismayed when I first put that album in)))). Even "Massage" (which is still a spectacular song) incorporates it at the beginning, it just throws in the twist of them being minor or diminished or whatever chords (hey, I'm familiar with the basics; I don't aspire to be be a music theorist). At least to me, there's a finite amount of noise or noodling you can throw over that sort of thing and make it sound original (and just to acknowledge the potential for me sounding hypocritical, at least Imperial Teen (who I'm not really a fan of, anyway) and the Breeders (who I am a HUGE fan of) (and the Magik Markers on "Risperdal" (which I still can't get enough of)) and tons of other bands who keep things simple for the majority of the time overuse the 1-4- or 1-5- thing, which at least sounds aesthetically complete, as opposed to sounding like it's on its way to somewhere grander, but then just turns around and settles for repetition. But hey, you know what? Maybe that does it for SY (and for other people). And if so, who am I to judge? That being said, I really enjoy Antenae (perhaps because the chord pattern during the verses (ie: just one chord) is so simple, it allows the vocal melody to be the thing I pay attention to (plus I <3 the chiming sounds!). Also, I love Malibu, as not only is it *not* a simple chord pattern, but the noisy fireball towards the end seems representative of a deeper meaning, like the "subject" could be on a fast track to explosion/implosion, and then just as I was thinking how dire a prediction it was, they brought back the melody as if to say "ok, we've given you a glimpse of what *could* happen; you still have a shot at saving yourself, lady".

Ok, I'm kind of exhausted, and I don't want to make this a tedious read (which it probably already is (I've been drinking Natty Lights steadily for 2 hours)), but I did want to say (while drunk, apparently) something to 2 people: Summer: until I heard the album I thought you were really annoying, but I agree with a lot of what you say now. And Atsonicpark: I'm sorry about what I said last summer (hey, that's weird!); I was very depressed, and the Free Kitten album was part of what helped me get through my partner's passing. Music is subjective by nature, and that's what irked me about being made to feel like my experiences were inferior. But I didn't stay away from the board [not that I post that much, anyway] because I was annoyed, but because I was ashamed for being such an asshole--that's really not me [and as an aside: I had heard such glowing things about Melt Banana, so I finally gave them a listen the other day; and I thought it was terrible. But obviously a lot of people love it and truly "get" it, so I just realize that I'm one of the ones who don't. Hey--you can't "get" everything (otherwise you'd be god)].

~fin~
Either I don't understand the point of "repping," or I do and it really is pointless. Fortunately I'm colorblind, so it wouldn't make sense to concern myself with being concerned about it in the first place.

www.myspace.com/koolthing78
koolthing78 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|