View Single Post
Old 12.03.2010, 04:06 PM   #1
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think he's ever been mentioned on here. Which is a shame because he's probably one of the most fascinating artists I've ever discovered. What he does could basically be described as melting hauntology themes with instrumental hip hop beats. Obscure melodies, retrofuturistic atmospheres, lost TV transmissions, weird samples, etc. Kind of like if Boards of Canada melted with The Focus Group, or something. Fantastic music - I bought the 4 albums on the day I discovered him.

Now what makes him even more special is that he creates a whole fiction around his music. He basically created a whole fictional city, Clinkskell, and the booklets for his four records include fake ads for books, movies, sweets, etc from this city, descriptions of local games, etc, with fantastic pictures, etc. The sounds are supposed to have been "captured in the Curtain Draped Studio by Mr Paris Green and Dr Lettow-Vorbeck 1898-1981". The website follows this trend as well : http://www.blankworkshop.co.uk/ (check the "Reviews and Comments" section, there are even stains on the papers to make them look antiquated !).

So far he released a record a year since 2007 ("An Audience At Art Deco Eyes", 2007 ; "Shoes Off And Chairs Away", 2008 ; "Striped Paint For The Last Post", 2009 ; "A Spare Tabby At The Cat's Wedding", 2010), they all have a similar retro design, all include 22 tracks (the new one actually includes totally different music on CD and vinyl, so that's basically two new albums this year) and are released on his own label, Gecophonic, which only releases his records. They're all fantastic. I've been massively in love with this music for the past week or so and I believe he might become one of my favorite artists ever. Check it out, really, it's worth all your attention. Simply fascinating.

SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|