View Single Post
Old 06.24.2015, 05:47 PM   #46921
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Okay. I have no idea what hardcore jazzheads think about this stuff, I now realize.

I wonder: how much shit did Miles get for In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew, etc? Was the jazz community excited by a new direction, or were these records perceived as blasphemy?

Ok, here's how it seems to me: "Jazz people" are actually some of the most loyal, hardcore of all music fans. Classical music seems to inspire a similar kind of exclusive devotion, as does the blues to some degree.

But jazz is more like "classical" in he sense that there are so many different eras and periods and styles, each of which attracts its own ardent followers. So among many jazz heads. Some will insist that Be Bop is the only "true" jazz music. Others will say the same thing about hard bop or big band or whatever. So believe it or not, there are plenty of jazz freaks who believe to this day that Coltrane and Miles Davis were blasphemous sons of bitches.

Like I said, closed no nded.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|