View Single Post
Old 04.28.2011, 03:13 PM   #2755
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

I just finished this. I have never read a Perez-Reverte novel that I couldn't put down from start to finish! Always the perfect blend of pious and religious imagery/allusions and yet also gritty gangster shit (I guess its my LA upbringing being surrounded by murals of Our Lady and pummeling gang violence which has given me these tastes)..

This last one was quite potent for my recent situations as it was more obviously a love story than the others. Sure, it was also a political and social critique, but it was still based on a love story, and one I could quite relate too..

It seems that Perez-Reverte wanted to comment on the state of modern "dating" and its shallowness in comparison to another time. He uses fencing as the analogy, as fencing is a fight of sophistication, ettiquete, honor.. The Fencing Master is fighting an uphill battle as the world changes, as guns and firearms turn sword fighting into a quant sport..

I can relate to this, dating seems like an "ambush and stab in the back" like the brutishness of modern warfare is to the honorable combat of sword fighting. People today really seem to be just out there to conquer the next heart, and the thrill of the chase is lost. I suppose the real question is was there ever any regality to romance and love, or have we always just been like David and Bathsheba?

up next

I'm already enjoying this one, even though I wish I had the fortitude to sit back a day or two and revel in the last one I just finished but alas, I'm bored and immobile for the next few days.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|