View Single Post
Old 05.28.2019, 01:38 PM   #5573
pony
the end of the ugly

pony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's asses
I am reading Maria Stepanova's "Nach dem Gedächtnis" (original: Pamjati pamjati). She writes about all things that have to do with memory. It is really nice, as she is using theory, novels, art, but also stories of her own, and letters and pictures of/written by her older family members (of those she has known, and those she had never met) in order to discuss memory. At times it is hard to follow and I am not sure if I do get everything she is saying/I have to re-read a lot. That is probably because I am not so used to russian sentence structure? I am not sure. I do enjoy the book a lot though and I am sad that, apparently, there aren't any other books by the author translated into German.
I saw the author doing a reading back in March. Before that, I had never heard of her. The reading was of her poetry (which I can't find translations of; at the event they used a power point presentation with translations in Dutch, French, and English) was in Russian, it was so nice to listen to Poetry in Russian! I instantly fell in love with her. She also talked about the book that I am reading right now, but there was no mention of any translation. Found it by "accident" in a book store and overdrafted my bank account, ha ha ha.

I don't think there is an English translation out yet. I could only find (the original) Russian, German, Dutch. The French version will come out next month, I think. If you guys can read any of those languages, I highly recommend reading this book. If you cannot, I am crossing my fingers for you for an English translation to come out soon!

/edit: I went book shopping, and I will these books shortly:

Helene Bukowski - Milchzähne
Annie Ernaux - A Man's Place
Édouard Louis - History of Violence
A book of essays by David Grossmann, titled Eine Taube erschießen
Bessel van der Kolk - The Body Keeps the Score
Leslie Jamison - The Recovering
Tiqqun - Introduction to Civil War
W.G. Sebald - Austerlitz
pony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|