View Single Post
Old 04.12.2008, 12:13 AM   #27
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
did someone here said yes suck? fuck man...

rick wakeman also played in the strawbs and did session work with black sabbath. i'm still very afraid to listen to any of his solo stuff, i truly am scared shitless.

No, I wouldn't go so far as to say "Yes sucks", just much of their worse excesses (but on the other hand and to the other extreme also their most commercial endeavors, Big Generator anybody?) I really like the first two albums, which were psych rather than "art-rock" records, and actually The Yes Album is still great, and Fragile has it's moments if starting to get over indulgent and certainly way overplayed. I just don't see any defense for Topographical Oceans though, nor Relayer, Tormanto, etc., etc. (not even to get into the most recent reunions).

And I was straight up that I think my tastes are subjective to begin with. I prefer less is more, and Wakeman has done it really well for other artists. What he's famous for in Yes is the keyboard equivalent of wankiness though. And yeah, a great deal of his solo catalog is even more of the same, in fact worse, since he's free from the "song" strictures of the prog rock group...
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|