View Single Post
Old 05.27.2010, 02:12 PM   #11
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
i hadn't been to fangs and arrows until you mentioned it and i looked it up. seems cool.

which pocahaunted release are you talking about?

what i think happens is people see these bands, like pocahaunted, start to get some recognition and just assume: "ah, everyone knows about them now, and they know it." and people assume their new stuff is gonna be really poppy and get a 6.7 on pitchfork and they won't be interesting anymore. and then when that happens, everything you mentioned about pocahaunteds short comings becomes kinda glaringly obvious whereas before you would be more inclined to try and overlook it, because you are looking for the weirdness and rickety charm in stuff, rather than pop.

i dont think this is necessarily a terribly bad impulse, if anything its something like the push to keep searching below the radar. so you can be the guy who posts about something before everybody else does. a part of that is self concioussness about making a thread or talking about a band like pocahaunted that everybody on your board knows about already and being afraid of coming across like somebody who has only heard about them now. but another part of that is what keeps things fresh.

i think there is definitely a side in people that, as you said "don't want to hear things musical". that's what they are looking for in drone or "mild pysche" or whatever. most of that music is at its best when it locks you into a say 15minute piece that manages to stretch out and maintain SOME sort of loose structure for that amount of time without breaking into simplistic popiness.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|