View Single Post
Old 07.22.2008, 01:01 PM   #40
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
More recommends:

The Hendrix biography by Charles Shaar Murray - an excellent tome, and from this book alone I got into loads of different music - it was here that I first read about Miles Davis and John Coltrane.
The Nick Cave biog by Nick Johnstone ("Bad Seed") - some priceless Birthday Party stories here, the Tracey Pew ones are especially great.
The Einstuerzende Neubauten biog "Listen With Pain" (aka "Hoer Mit Schmerzen") - covers their origins, Berlin 82' etc years nicely well. Good piccies too.
"England's Hidden Reverse" - a fucking amazing book about the English "noise/industrial/experimental" scene of the 80's and beyond, focusing mainly on Current 93, Nurse With Wound, and Coil. The end bits about Coil's John Balance are deeply saddening to read, bearing in mind how he died...

EDIT: I HATED The Doors as a snotty teenaged spod. It was on the off-chance of finding the "No One Here Gets Out Alive" biog in a mate's flat when I was 20 (and reading it with a stinking hangover) that I "got" what the Doors were about.