View Single Post
Old 01.03.2020, 02:47 AM   #7983
Robert Schunk
expwy. to yr skull

Robert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon
Those instances (the ones pointed out here) are someone voicing their discomfort with far right talking points seeping into this forum and being repeated ad nauseam. I see no actual ill-wishes concerning your personal well-being in them. They are harsh indictments of the type of stuff you're posting here. And as I will lay out in detail below the next quote, there's a whole bunch of legitimate concerns those two as well as others have no doubt tried to communicate to you. It's not like this whole thing started yesterday. Context certainly does matter.

Things are not quite that simple. But a certain rhetoric, certain sources and talking points carry connotations. Just a random example: Putting repeat emphasis on Obama's middle name for instance implies that whoever does that has some issues with that middle name. It instills an image of the "other". And it's been a favorite of rightwing pundits that sought to discredit him.
And more broadly, spreading false information, using the lingo of the current president and so on and so forth displays a large amount of devotion to that machinery.
At this point, so much is known about the person in question, one Donald Trump. There are several instances that put some of the Nazi-comparisons into context. And I'm by no means the first one to point these out, but here are just a handful of incidents, behavioral patterns and pieces of information that should serve as a little refresher:

*Trump has retweeted a quote by Mussolini and didn't distance himself from said fascist dictator when it was pointed out to him.

Trump's response on this point is no more than saying that even a broken clock is correct twice a day. Bad people can say wise things, as a half-truth is often more effective than an outright lie.

Quote:
*Trump has claimed there were "very fine people" on both sides in the wake of a counterprotester being killed during a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville in 2017. And this year, his reflections on said remark included him praising Robert E. Lee, even going so far as to state the following: "I have spoken to many generals here, right at the White House, and many people thought of the generals, they think maybe he was their favorite general."

Here, you're buying into the Charlottesville Hoax. Here's the CNN report of the famous Trump Tower press conference of 15 August 2017 as reported the following day:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/15/polit...lay/index.html

Included are the following:

"On Saturday, as violence in Charlottesville played out on national television, Trump blamed "many sides" for the conflict. Though that answer was quickly panned by Democrats and Republicans alike, Trump remained silent on Sunday, leaving it to his aides to try to clean up his vague answer. Trump, after mounting pressure that was palpable inside the White House, spoke Monday and condemned the white supremacists and neo-Nazis at the heart of the violence.On Tuesday, though, Trump defended his 48-hour delay in denouncing white supremacists, arguing that he took his time because he didn't know the facts.
"I wanted to make sure, unlike most politicians, that what I said was correct, not make a quick statement," Trump said, calling his initial comment a "fine statement."
He added: "I don't want to go quickly and just make a statement for the sake of making a political statement."
The President subsequently called the driver of the car that drove through a crowd, killing one woman, a "murderer" then once again blamed both sides for the violence.
Trump said there were some "very bad people" on both sides, but that there was [sic] some who came out to protest the removal of Robert E. Lee's statue who were "fine people."
"You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down, to them, of a very, very important statue and a renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name," Trump said.

In other words, he was distinguishing between peaceful protestors on both sides and those on both sides using violence to get their points across while denying others their say.

Quote:
*Ivana Trump mentioned in her testimony that Donnie had a copy of "My New Order" - a collection of Hitler's speeches in a cabinet by his bed - an anecdotal account you may say, but I'm inclined to believe her; Trump constantly labels mainstream media as "fake news", disavowing pretty much anything that doesn't stroke his ego - which draws eerie parallels to Hitler's strategy of discrediting any media critical of him and calling it "Lügenpresse" ("lying press"); there are plenty more instances that draw some parallels - all of them, as well as those already mentioned in this bracket are also summed up here in this op-ed.

I've just given you a blatant example of a press lie, which CNN continues to spew even AFTER the artilce I linked proved that they knew the truth.

And concerning Professor Neueborne's op-ed, I find it facile and unconvincing. That's quite difficult for me to say, since he once substitute-taught my Constitutional Law class while my regular professor was sidelined for medical reasons and he's a brilliant and humorous guy, but I jump off his train when he relates Hitler's use of unilateral executive power to the President's use of executive orders. He should know better, in that this country has an independent judiciary and President Trump has NEVER violated a court order. Furthermore, while referring derisively to President Trump's use of executive orders to skirt Congress, he appears to have forgotten President Obama's use of an executive order to impose DACA as the law of the land, which was a clear executive exercise of an Article I, Section 8 LEGISLATIVE power, and thus an unconstitutional breach of separation of powers.
Robert Schunk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|