View Single Post
Old 11.17.2008, 07:12 AM   #35
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I've noticed that you don't get many blacks playing the Shamisen, which proves that someone or other (but not myself) is racist.

Good point, makes me think Japan must be generally racist towards black people because there doesn't seem to be hardly any Afro-Japanese residents.

How are black people viewed in Japan?

Kiwano
Aug 20, 2003, 01:48
"Hi
I'm a black Swedish guy (adopted) who's planning
to go to Japan, I've heard that there is some serious
discrimination against black people. Is it true or is it
exegregated? I've heard from some that it's the other way
around and that blacks are quite popular. Anyone who knows
what the deal is?"

Hanada Tattsu
Aug 20, 2003, 03:09
"Hello, and first and formost, welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy your time here, and don't spam.

Secondly, I love Sweden, I study Swedish history, and its really great, it was a really powerful country back in the colonial era, it had colonies in Russia, Norway, and Poland.

Thirdly, in terms of Black people, I'll bring up a Pokemon example. The Pokemon Jynx has black skin, wiggly hips, and long, blond hair. Of course, Pokemon is a Japanese anime, and Jynx is a Pokemon created by Japanese people. Many Americans, when the show was dubbed in America, saw Jynx as a racist stereotype to African Americans.

Of course, it was. Japanese people aren't used to people from other countries, therefore they tend to do this. Another example is Mr. Popo (I think that's his name) from Dragon Ball Z. He looks exactly the same as Jynx, just a male form."

Anyways, nothing will happen to you if you move to Japan. People may talk behind your back, or look at you, or be rude to you, but that's it. White people will get treated the same, but if you're nice and speak Japanese well, you should be all right.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|