View Single Post
Old 11.09.2016, 02:03 PM   #1697
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
I stayed up all night watching the PBS stream. When pennsylvania went to trump I thought fuck it and went to bed.

Not that this has any direct consequenses on my life, me being from finland, but it's been a bizarre circus this. Especially because in finnish political system the presidential institution has far less significance. I can't relate to this kind of mania.

Can't say I'm totally surprised, given the recent events such as brexit, which "wasn't supposed" to happen. But I wasn't expecting this.

There's been a rise of right wing populism throughout europe in recent years, including finland. We've had our share of it too, the truefinns party have gained large popularity in the last six or seven years. And they are exactly the kind of people who would vote for trump, ie the people especially in rural areas and dying small towns. There's a connection there.
They also are proponents of isolationist politics and anti-immigration, needless to say. And use faux-nostalgic nationalism as political tool.

The immigration thing has been driving the political and social discourse in recent years and I'm fucking tired of it. There doesn't seem to be a subject that cannot be turned into a immigration issue.
What have the truefinns actually done in their time, except talked shit? fuck all. But that's how populist politics work. Simple aswers to complex questions.

The more worrying result of this is the normalization of bigotry and narrow mindedness.

It also doesn't help that the rest of the major parties in the cabinet are right wing corporate neo-libs and conservatives as well.
So, the general consensus these days seem to be that whether it's the stagnated economy or social issues, the unemployed, "greedy" employees or immigrants can be blamed for it. And there's been a very clear shaming campaign towards these groups.

Oh well. Enjoy. I certainly hope the shitfest circus continues.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|